30 May, Killin to Glasgow
Our last day in the Highlands. We awoke to somewhat fairer skies in Killin at the Dall Lodge Guest House. Time to condense our packing as much as possible for the train trip to London tomorrow, but first order of the day is breakfast. I was looking forward to the porridge as Sally had told me that she starts making it the night before, and it was the best! Pin cut oats that were cooked all night produced an amazing porridge. It is a fine oat meal that Sally says she cannot get in England, only in Scotland. Mike and I agree it is the BEST porridge/oatmeal we have ever eaten! Fresh hot press coffee always impresses me as I sip the rich mix with pleasure.
Our bags were loaded since we had acquired souvenirs – way too many again. And we added to the stash through the day! After leaving Dall Lodge, we stopped in Killin at the tourist center to check out the watermill and to browse some of the shops. The other great event for me was to photograph, IN THE SUN, the Falls of Dochart. And I stood a while just relishing the rushing water hearing and seeing such a lovely piece of earth.
Back to A85 and to A84 toward Callander. At Balquhidder turnoff, we saw a sign to Rob Roy's grave and decided to check it out. We passed a little junction turned up a narrow road – yes, even more narrow than usual, into an amazing glen and Loch Voil nestled between mountains. On the side of the hill was the parish church with Rob Roy McGregor’s grave in the cemetery. Arriving about the same time as an Asian tour group, I listened in to part of the commentary. Rob Roy himself did not look anything like the film version, Liam Neeson – now there’s a surprise – he was actually very short and had unusually long (and strong) arms which made him one tough warrior.
The cemetery had the usual very old graves and recent ones as well sprinkled in the ruins of an old church or abbey. The newer and existing parish church stood off to the side. I definitely left an impression, of my fanny and knee, that is when I slipped on the wet rocks and toppled over on my side in the wet grass. No harm done, it was really pretty funny.
Back to the junction, we stopped at a little store near Balquhidder, that had way too much “cute stuff” including adorable stuffed animals - I wanted to buy most of them for me and one each for the grandkids. Still have the stuffed animal gene even at 60 years of age.
Winding our way slowly toward Glasgow via A821 to Loch Katrine and Aberfoyle, still in the Trossachs National Park, yep it is awesome. Planning to eat lunch at Loch Katrine, we abandoned that idea when the restaurant was less than impressive. We did talk a little walk, however, good to get a little exercise.
By this time, we were ready to find a place to eat, so we drove of the mountains and through the glen to Aberfoyle where we found a gem, The Fourth Inn. Another meal of wonderful, fresh fish and chips and Belhaven Best on tap. Mighty fine, yes indeed.
On to Glasgow airport we go, across Dumbarton Bridge, over the River Clyde to turn in our Kia Venga. There was our usual detour to find a petrol station and a few turnarounds to find the exact return point for the rental return.
A quick and helpful cab ride from Glasgow airport into the central city brought us to the Jury’s Inn which is just down the street from Central Train Station where we depart for London tomorrow morning. Mike was tired, so after a quick walk to be sure we knew exactly where to go in the morning, we went back to the hotel and settled in. I took the iPad and went down to have a salad and check email. In our short walk to Central Station it was obvious that walking around that part of Glasgow alone was probably not the smartest decision, so I stayed tucked in at the hotel. The Jury’s Inn was okay, actually a fair deal for downtown Glasgow. I had booked a bigger room and what I THOUGHT was complimentary internet access, but I did not read the fine print, so paid more than we needed to probably, but oh well. It was a comfortable room.
Scotland has been - Ahh well . . . Scotland- Still my favorite place of all, definitely one of my best happy places.
Taking the route up to the western highlands that George recommended, no traffic and jaw-dropping gorgeous the whole way was a brilliant decision. Our journey included Dunoon, Inverary, Oban, Mull, Iona, Fort William, Glenfinnan, Glencoe, Killin, and through the Trossachs to Glasgow. The entire 5 days in Scotland have been magical, comfortable and beautiful for me. I feel as if this place could be home, and I would like to come back to see more of this fascinating country. The weather has been wet most of every day, so we have not walked as much as we would have, and the vistas were not as sweeping as a bright sunny day would have produced.
I hit a low place of frustration yesterday grumbling about the soggy days. Had to have a bit of a "come to Jesus" meeting with myself.
We have had a wonderful, magical trip with only a few minor hassles which have already faded in my memory.
No comments:
Post a Comment