VII BLOG Toto Travels
17 May
Big trip - 10 hours - too much
Leaving Farrenwick at 8:30, we started on our very ambitious travel day.
From Cahir we got on the M8 to go to Cobh via Cork and then on to Kinsale for lunch and the scenic route to Kenmare.
Stop in Fermoy for petrol at a fancy Costcutter and stocked up on snacks- yikes, and on to Cobh. We had computer printed directions which were brilliant and took us right into the lovely, lovely harbour city of Cobh. There was a huge Italian cruise ship in harbour with LOTS of people jamming the streets. Karen and I hit the Tourist info (of course) and the Heritage Center including the sculpture of Annie Moore, the first immigrant on Ellis Island.
Lunch and a long day trip ahead called us reluctantly out of Cobh to Kinsale, we found the R600, skirting Cork City, and arrived Kinsale.
No time for the Star Fort in Kinsale. We parked, went to the TI where a very helpful (and VERY businesslike) lady charted our scenic trip into Kenmare.
Lunch was at legendary Fishy Fishy. It was, indeed, expensive but certainly lived up to the name. The most amazing fish n chips I have ever eaten.
After a short unplanned diversion-I took the wrong turn, we left Kinsale and stayed on R600 to Ballinspittle, Timoleague, and to Clonakilty (picked up N71) and on to other charming towns of Leap, Ballydehob, Skibbereen, and Bantry. At Bantry I was so tired, achy and tired of driving. We stopped in a store for a bit of cheese to go with the Fishy Fishy brown bread (and for toilets of course) and were directed "back down to town square-you can't miss it" - yeah, right.
At this point I was pretty crabby and after a couple times around the town, I stopped at the library in desperation. It was a paltry library, rather sad actually. But we had our break and I felt ready to go again.
Just past Bantry, the scenery got even more beautiful, if possible. We stopped a few places for photo opps. Off to Glengarriff where we turned off N71 to travel part of the Beara Peninsula to Adrigole (stop at Peg's) and over Healy pass. It was absolutely stunning, how many superlative words can I find to describe scenery in Ireland? Also it was a narrow road, hairpin turns, and cliffs, windy and cold out as well. Sheep were everpresent, grazing their way around. Karen was about at the end of her rope at this point. It was after 6:00 pm and we had been on the road since 8:30 am.
I stopped a few times to take photos and Karen did not push me down the mountain, thankfully. By the time we wound our way into Kenmare about 7:00 pm, we neither one could think. Following directions on a map was difficult! But we finally found Rockcrest BnB and arrived exhausted and bedraggled. Our hosts, Marian and David O'Dwyer greeted us.
Marian showed us to our room at the end of the hall and up a few stairs, while David brought our last bag in for us. Marian was all business, "What time do you want breakfast?" she asked with pen and pad in hand.
"About 8:45 or 9:00," we proposed.
"9:10 is the only time left, you ARE the last ones on." She stated.
"Right, 9:10 is good, thanks." it was difficult to keep a straight face.
Karen was completely done in and I briefly thought about walking into town (just around the corner) for a Guinness, but took a few steps out the door, considered the sprinkling showers and how tired I was - took a few photos and went back to the room. We had cheese and "Fishy Fishy" brown bread in the room and called it a night.
No comments:
Post a Comment