Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Reflections of Iona

28 May, 2011 – a short afternoon

Because of Iona’s spiritual significance, it became important to me to write more thoughts about my visit there from my perspective after the visit, after the dust settled, so to speak.
I have wanted to visit the Isle of Iona since I read about it several years ago. This trip Mull and Iona were not in my original grand plan, although the temptation to visit Iona, even for a short time, has danced around in my thoughts since I started planning this trip. When we decided that my grand plans A and B involved too much driving and not enough time, a visit to Iona, because of its spiritual heritage, became a growing idea that needed no watering. I was eagerly anticipating the short, two hour, visit to Iona.

In the daily post for May 28, I talked about chunks of frustration: missing the first ferry which shortened our time on Iona; knowing we had little time and catching a glimpse of so many sights in such a beautiful setting; wanting to spend time in each place - the garden area, looking at homes, walking up the hills and around the island visiting other ruins and all this was before we approached Iona Abbey then looking at my watch and realizing that Mike would want lunch while we were here was chunk three if my frustration.

Now that we are home and I have been able to contemplate the visit to Iona, the peacefulness, the privilege of walking in Iona and sharing in the history, the visit has become very special. Moments spent there have somehow become magnified as I consider the heritage, the scenery, God’s paintbrush on this tiny island and the influence the quiet peace exerts on seekers.

It also strikes me and reaffirms that to worship can and should take place anywhere and everywhere. Regarding the beauty of God’s creation, the waves on the shoreline, the beaches and cliffs that are worn with time, the fragility of the man-made crafts that venture on the oceans, the fields and hills and rocks and trees fills my spiritual self with joy and peace.

Worship with people of common faith, with people that I share relationship whether we agree on principles or not, is richly rewarding. Joy descends when I share time with those I love and I cannot help but think of God and His love for us all when I am with those that I love.

To be able to explore the island in quiet time, worship in their chapel and worship on the coast and in the hills for a few days would be very nice, but as I reflect on the short and rather hurried time there, I was able to worship in that time as well. Memory and impression leave a peaceful feeling and I am thankful for the opportunity to be there and to realize that feeling of joy and peace is for every place in every time with all people.

In the gift shop, some could say a commercial enterprise, most items had a spiritual significance. From some of the cards I chose:
“Alone with none but thee my God
I journey on my way.
What need I fear when though art near
O King of night and day.
More safe am I within they hand
Than if a host did round me stand.”
St. Columba - (560s C. E.)


“Deep peace of the running wave to you
Deep peace of the flowing air to you
Deep peace of the quiet earth to you
Deep peace of the shining stars to you
Deep peace of the Son of Peace to you”

No comments:

Post a Comment